Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: tightening arm & legs strings

  1. #1
    Inactive Member heartscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry to be a bother,
    I was wondering if someone had a link that shows how to tighten arem & leg strings?
    I got a cute AGOT doll on ebay for 39.99.
    She is going to clean up very nicely-
    I did her hair yesterdday & now I have her head off trying to figure out how to tighten her limbs up a bit........
    Thanks for any input available on tips to refurbish her a bit for my daughters.
    Thanks so much!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    www.justmagicdolls.com has an excellent description of this process. It intimidated me, but I was trying to restring a mini-Felicity! Good luck and let us know how your efforts turn out!

  3. #3
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    I found it was much easier just to go ahead and replace all of the elastic and pieces. I think all of the parts ran me around 5 dollars to redo the whole doll. I figure if I just did all of the limbs then it would save me the time later. Half of the time I have redone the dolls MOST of the elastic was going to need replacing because it was freying anyhow. But you don't know all of that until you take it appart.

    However the sizes for the parts in the article I couldn't find. But once I found a good size it all worked out well. Just be prepared to ask for help finding parts at the hardware store.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member heartscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks you very much (both of you guys!)
    Johanna,
    When I looked at the site- it showed arms- But nothing about doing the legs.
    How the heck do you see anything down inside there?
    I have to admit, it looks harder than I thought.
    Do you know anything about steaming hair too?
    I got the steamer, but I am confused if I iron on the hair or if I put it in front of it or what.
    I know I sound like a dummy- This is my first attempt.............Help.................!!!
    LOL!
    Thanks for your time!
    Cheryl

  5. #5
    Inactive Member TaffyCheerful's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 1st, 2002
    Posts
    544
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by heartscb:
    When I looked at the site- it showed arms- But nothing about doing the legs. How the heck do you see anything down inside there?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Gosh, I made that web page and it was actually the doll's legs that were being restrung. With the stuffing out, it is actually pretty easy to get to where the legs connect inside.

    heartscb continued:
    I have to admit, it looks harder than I thought.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Like many things, it looks overwhelming at the outset, but it is actually pretty simple. I was surprised at how easy it turned out to be. Just take it step-by-step...

    heartscb continued:
    Do you know anything about steaming hair too?
    I got the steamer, but I am confused if I iron on the hair or if I put it in front of it or what.
    I know I sound like a dummy- This is my first attempt.............Help.................!!!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You never need to feel like a dummy asking questions here. All of us were in exactly the same place at one time or another and we are happy to help you out.

    You can use the steamer like an iron, but it has worked best for me when I steam the hair and then brush it with one of those metal wires set into a rubber base wig brushes. Alternate steaming and brushing. If you are going to put in rollers, then steam the hair on the rollers thoroughly and wait until the hair is dry before removing the rollers, then brush it out.

    Taffy

  6. #6
    Inactive Member heartscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    taffy-
    you did a really good job on the site. I guess I just assumed it was the arms. It seems like it would be hard to reach in there for the legs, but I guess w/ the stuffing out it collapses down a lot.?? It hard to visualize. It seems so tricky when you have never done it. You Are so good @ this stuff!
    So, should the hair be all dried when starting the steam then? My steamer also calls for salt- I hope this is the right kind. Its all plastic- no metal. You mentioned let the hair dry- you mean just from the moisture of the steamer?
    Thanks soooooo much for the help. The doll is already looking so much better. Where did you get the restringing parts- just like Ace hardware then? Will they know what the heck I am talking about!!
    Thanks for all your help!!

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ October 01, 2004 10:20 PM: Message edited by: heartscb ]</font>

  7. #7
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    I bought the elastic by the inch at Joann Fabric. The other parts I got at Lowes.

    I had gotten 2 "Inserts for Pastic Pipe" in a small package. 1/4 inch I think was the size.

    Restringing is actually much easier then you think. Taffy did a great job explaining it. I just found restringing the whole thing and all of the copmonents easier then trying to pull it tighter and then just do a quick fix. I would rather replace and have it done with, just in case.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member heartscb's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 6th, 2004
    Posts
    29
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    that makes sense. Its actually the legs more than the arms, but it might be best to do it all at once!
    Thanks for the parts info.
    Does it matter what width on the elastic?
    Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    AngieGill
    Guest AngieGill's Avatar

    Post

    WOW! This looks much easier than it sounds! I am excited to fix my loosie goosie Molly. I got her for a song on ebay.. I actually have two Molly's.. this one is my Holly doll.. she is so loose that she can't stand up and her arms can not hold a pose. I didnt know, until now, that she could be fixed. Thanks Taffy!!!

  10. #10
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    Oh Angie! You are going to have a load of fun fixing her. It was so easy!!!!!

    I bought cord elastic. It was on a spool in the same area as the regular elastic just it is a cord just like is on the inside of the doll.

    The inserts I used to crimp the cord I checked on a piece of the elastic first so I was sure it would fit through the brass pieces.

    Have fun ladies! Taffy did a great job and it worked for me, so I know anyone can do it!!!!!

    Go for it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •